- 1/3 cup unseasoned rice vinegar
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon Sriracha (hot chili sauce)
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- 8 cups matchstick-size pieces mixed summer vegetables (such as carrots, radishes, cucumbers, and bell peppers; about 1 1/4 pounds)
- Kosher salt, freshly ground pepper
- 8 ounces buckwheat soba (Japanese-style noodles) or vermicelli noodles
- 1 cup (loosely packed) cilantro leaves with tender stems
- 3 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon black or white sesame seeds
PREP: 30 MINTOTAL: 30 MIN
- Whisk first four ingredients in a large bowl. Add vegetables; toss to coat. Season with salt and pepper.
- Cook noodles in a large pot of boiling salted water, stirring occasionally, until al dente; drain. Run noodles under cold water to cool them; drain well and add to bowl with vegetables. Add cilantro and scallions; season to taste with salt and pepper. Sprinkle sesame seeds over and serve.
- Recipe byThe Bon Appétit Test Kitchen
...with Spinach, Olives & Golden Raisins
Bon Appétit - Feb 2010
- 2 9-ounce bags spinach leaves
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 5-ounce salmon fillets with skin
- 1/3 cup chopped shallot (1 very large)
- 1/3 cup halved pitted Kalamata olives
- 1/3 cup golden raisins
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- Pour a few tablespoons water into heavy large nonstick skillet. Place over medium-high heat. Add 1 bag spinach (skillet will be full). Using 2 wooden spoons, turn and toss spinach until most of leaves are wilted, about 2 minutes. Add remaining spinach leaves in 2 batches. Turn and toss spinach until just wilted but still bright green. Transfer cooked spinach to strainer set over bowl.
- Wipe skillet dry if necessary. Add 1 tablespoon oil and heat over medium-high heat. Sprinkle salmon with salt and pepper. Place in skillet, skin side up. Sear until brown, about 3 minutes; turn fish. Cook until just opaque in center, 3 to 4 minutes. Transfer to plate; wipe skillet clean.
- Add 1 tablespoon olive oil to same skillet. Add chopped shallot, halved olives, and golden raisins. Stir 1 minute. Add spinach; toss until heated through, about 1 minute. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Mound spinach mixture on plates. Top with salmon.
Add balsamic vinegar and honey to skillet. Boil until reduced to glaze, about 30 seconds. Spoon glaze over salmon and spinach and serve.