Start with 2 cups dry navy beans:
- soak over night in lots of water
- cook in soaking water for 2 hours to soften.
Bring to a boil:
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 1 cup ketchup
- a slosh of beer
- a cup of water
- a tbsp worstershire sauce
- 1 fat tsp dry mustard
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 good sized onion
- 1 lb organic bacon
Layer cooked beans, onion and bacon in your crock pot Pour sauce over and mix it up. Add water if it looks too dry Cook on LOW for 6-8 hrs
simmer the beans in olive oil for 10 to 15 minutes.
- use lots of good olive oil: beans should be swimming in it
- Try adding flavours: a peeled, smashed clove of garlic, a bay leaf, a sprig of thyme.
- Finish with a drizzle of olive oil, or sprinkle with herbs or citrus zest