- 2 tablespoons Butter
- 1 large Onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons Hungarian Paprika
- 1 pound Beef - cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 6 - 8 cups Water
- 2 - 3 cloves Garlic - finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons Vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Tomato Paste
- 1 tablespoon Caraway Seeds
- 1 teaspoon Dried Marjoram
- Salt and Fresh Ground Pepper to taste
- 2 - 3 medium Potatoes, peeled and diced
- Heat the butter in a large, heavy pot and saute the onion until tender but not brown, about 5 minutes. Stir in the paprika and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the beef and stir until the meat is lightly browned.
- Add the remaining ingredients except the potatoes and bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Simmer covered for 1 hour.
- Add the potatoes and simmer 15 to 20 minutes, until the potatoes are tender.