This Green Mango Salad recipe will blow you away with its tastebud-awakening flavors and mix of textures.
Ingredients - The Salad
- 2 firm green mangoes
- 1/4 cup dry shredded unsweetend coconut
- 2 cups bean sprouts
- 1/2 cup fresh basil
- 3-4 spring onions, sliced
- 1/2 cup fresh coriander
- handful of peanuts or cashews
- Optional: 1 cup cooked chicken or shrimp, or deep-fried tofu
Ingredients - The Dressing
- 3 tbsp. fish sauce (OR 3 1/2 tbsp soy sauce for vegetarians/vegans)
- 3 tbsp lime juice
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1-2 fresh red chillies, de-seeded and minced or 1-2 tsp of Thai red chilli sauce
Green Mango Tips:
When buying green mangoes, look for firm or very barely indent-able flesh.
- Place the coconut in a frying pan or wok (no oil required). "Dry-fry" the coconut for 2-3 minutes over medium heat, or until it turns a light golden-brown and is fragrant and set aside. Tip: Once the coconut is toasted, remove it from the pan right away, otherwise it will keep on toasting.
- Peel off the green skin of the mangoes and discard. Using a medium to large size grater, grate the yellow-orange flesh of the mangoes into a mixing bowl.
- Prepare the dressing by mixing together all the salad dressing ingredients in a bowl or cup, stirring well to dissolve sugar and set aside.
- Add to the bowl of shredded mango: bean sprouts, basil, spring onions, coriander, cooked chicken (or shrimp or tofu), plus half the toasted coconut. Toss well to combine.
- Add the dressing and toss again. Place on a serving platter. Sprinkle over the nuts plus the remaining toasted coconut, and enjoy!