Baked Pumpkins with Spinach, Mushrooms, and Cheese
4 sugar pie pumpkins
salt and pepper to taste
2 thinly sliced shallots
1 cup sliced mushrooms
1 clove garlic, minced
1 package (50z) fresh spinach (like Earthbound)
1/2 stale baguette, cubed
2/3 cup shredded swiss cheese
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/c cup heavy cream
Preheat oven to 350.
saute shallots, mushrooms, garlic in butter. Add spinach until it wilts, Salt and pepper to taste.
Transfer to mixing bowl and add bread, cheese, nutmeg and cream until combined,
Cut the tops off the pumpkins, scoop out the insides and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
Fill the pumpkins with the mushroom veggie bread mix. Put pumpkin tops back on.
Place pumpkins on a baking sheet with parchment paper, bake for about an hour. Remove tops and continue baking for 20 to 30 min, until the filling is brown and crispy and pumpkins are easily peirced with a knife.
Replace caps and serve.
* add 1 pound large shrimp, peeled and deveined, to the curry during the last few minutes of cooking, if you wish.
- 1 small butternut squash (about 2 pounds)
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1/3 cup Thai red curry paste
- One 15-ounce can chickpeas (garbanzo beans), drained and rinsed
- Kosher salt
- One 13-ounce can unsweetened coconut milk
- 1/3 cup fresh cilantro, plus more for garnish
1. Peel the squash, cut it lengthwise in half, and scoop out the seeds. Cut off the top where it meets the bulbous bottom. Cut the bulb end into 3/4- inch-wide wedges. Cut the neck end into 1/2- inch-thick half-moons.
2. Heat a large heavy pot over medium-high heat. Add the canola oil, then add the curry paste and stir for about 1 minute, or until fragrant. Add the squash and stir to coat with the curry paste. Stir in the chickpeas and season with salt. Add the coconut milk and 3/4 cup water and bring to a simmer. Reduce the heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer gently for about 10 minutes, or until the squash just begins to soften.
3. Stir in the cilantro and simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, for about 20 minutes, or until the squash is tender but not falling apart and the sauce has reduced slightly. Season to taste with salt.
4. Divide the curry among four soup bowls, top with cilantro, and serve.
BLACK BEAN VEGGIE BURGERS
- 1 can organic black beans
- 1 cup sweet potatoes, shredded
- 1/2 cup almond butter
- 1/2 cup red onion
- 1/4 cup spelt flour
- 2 tablespoons tamari
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- Place beans in a bowl and mash. Stir in remaining ingredients.
- Scoop 1/3 cup of batter at a time to form burger patties.
- Place burgers on a baking sheet (you may need two)
- Bake in oven on 350 F for approx 45 minutes.
- Serve with sprouted buns or a salad and enjoy!
Rosemary and Hazelnut Stuffed Mushrooms
Courtesy of the Mushroom Council and Kath Eats Real Food
ROSEMARY AND BRIE STUFFED MUSHROOMS
Yield: 4 servings (12 stuffed mushrooms)
Serving Size: 3 stuffed mushrooms
12 crimini mushrooms, washed and dried
24 whole hazelnuts plus 1 tbsp crushed hazelnuts
2-3 ounces triple cream brie cheese
¼ cup dried cranberries or mixed dried berries
2 tbsp hazelnut oil
1 sprig fresh rosemary, chopped
¼ tsp kosher salt
Preheat oven to 350F. Remove stem from mushrooms by cutting around and twisting off. Pour hazelnut oil into a mixing bowl and add mushrooms. Toss to evenly coat.
Place mushrooms stemless side down onto baking sheet. Place in oven for about 3 minutes. Remove mushrooms from oven and turn over. (If your mushrooms are particularly watery, you may need to pat sheet dry or use a clean baking sheet).
Add 1-2 whole hazelnuts to the bowl, depending on mushroom size. Top with 1-2 half-inch, thin slices of brie. Top with cranberries. Mix rosemary and salt evenly and sprinkle over mushrooms. Return to oven for additional 5 minutes baking, depending on mushroom size. You may wish to rest on paper towel for a moment to absorb moisture. Serve hot.
Calories: 310; Total Fat: 25g; Saturated Fat: 6g; Cholesterol: 30mg; Sodium: 340mg; Protein: 10g; Carbohydrate: 14g; Dietary Fiber: 2g
- 1 medium Butternut Squash
- 3 tart Green Apples - peeled and coarsely chopped
- 1 medium Onion, peel & chop
- 1/4 teaspoon Rosemary
- 3 (10 1/2 ounces) containers Chicken Broth
- Water – as required
- 1/4 cups Heavy Cream or Half-and-Half chopped Fresh Parsley for garnish
- 1/4 teaspoon Pepper
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- Peel squash and seed it; cut into chunks. Combine squash with apples, onions, rosemary, salt, pepper, broth and water in a large heavy saucepan. Bring to a boil and simmer, uncovered, for 45 minutes.
- Puree soup in blender or food processor.
- Return mixture to saucepan and bring just to boiling point, then reduce heat. Before serving, add cream.
- Serve hot, with chopped fresh parsley sprinkled on top.